Ferrets in fantasy and science fiction
I'm compiling a list of ferret occurrences in
science fiction and fantasy. This is what I've come
up with, with help, so far.
If you have anything to add to it, please
(Don't mail me about other movies; if you
do I won't reply.)
Novels and short stories
In no particular order:
- Epicurus the Sage, vol II, by William Messner-Loebs & Sam Kieth
An all brown ferret is carried as a pet by the character Semele
- In Sluggy
Freelance, there's a ferret called Kiki.
- In Dave Sim's and Gerhard's Cerebus mongooses are described
as being "ferret like" in the album Guys
and in an earlier album polecats are mentioned.
- In Girl
Genius one minor character is called Ferretina the Weasel Queen.
- In the anthro comic called Furrlough theres a strip called Heebas by Scotty
Arsenault. Her name is Marble and she is immortal.
- Fusion (out of print), a space drama with a ferret or weasel
named Tam who is a wonder mechanic (he once programmed a food synthesizer to
produce nothing but beer) by Steve Galacci.
- Xanadu by Vicky Wyman.
- Ever Changing Palace (fanzine), many ferrety characters.
When ferrets occur on the screen, it's mostly as
playing polecats, like in Beastmaster
(and likely Mars Attacks), or something
completely alien like a Cardassian pet in a
Star Trek: TNG episode,
so it's a short list so far:
- Starship Troopers, Paul Verhoeven 1997
The only bad guy in the movie has one as
a pet/research subject. (I've seen the
movie, so don't bother writing me telling me
- The Fellowship of the Ring, Peter Jackson 2001
In The Prancing Pony one of the human customers
has a light coloured male partly inside his clothing
and gives it a little something to eat.
Not exactly about real ferrets, but influenced by them
in different ways.
- I'm told the second "Jurassic Park" movie features some dinosaurs
whose movements and behaviour is patterned after ferrets.
- In "Star Trek", the Ferengi seems to have gotten both
part of their name and behaviour from ferrets.
- In "Star Trek: Voyager" Neelix has a prominent ferret nose.
- Katharine Kerr & Mark Kreighbaum,
Palace (a novel of the pinch)
A ferrit is a computer program to look up information.
- The computer game "Inherit The Earth" has
a ferret village inhabited by ferret-morphs.
- The computer game "Other Suns" is
a role playing game with otter and ferret-morphs
Ferrets: You can't live without them!
Tamillrar: Man kan inte leva utan dem!
Document created 1998,
content last updated 2008 Jan 30
by Urban Fredriksson